Sexually Violent Predator Placement Hearing Notification
The State of California Department of State Hospitals is recommending residential placement for Eldridge Lindsey Chaney, Jr., a Sexually Violent Predator, at 780 El Camino Real North, Prunedale; an unincorporated area of Monterey County.
A community meeting has been scheduled to receive public comments and submit a consolidated public response in reference to this placement to the Superior Court of California, County of Monterey.
The community meeting will take place:
Tuesday, July 14, 2015 at 7:00 p.m.
First Baptist Church of Prunedale
17716 Pesante Rd, Salinas, CA 93907
(On Pesante Rd between Hwy 101 North and Pollock Lane)
At this community meeting, residents with questions and concerns about this sexually violent predator placement are encouraged to attend and submit comments to the Monterey County Sheriff’s Office. The comments received will be included in a formal response to the Superior Court of California, County of Monterey.
Members of the Monterey County Sheriff’s Department Sexual Assault Felony Enforcement Task Force (S.A.F.E.), and District 2 Supervisor John Phillips of the Monterey County Board of Supervisors and his staff will be in attendance at the community meeting to receive comments and address questions/concerns.
A court hearing for placement of Eldridge Chaney will occur on:
Wednesday, August 5th at 3:00 p.m.
Monterey County Superior Court
The Honorable Lydia M. Villarreal
240 Church Street 3rd Floor
Salinas CA 93901
Public comment may be accepted at the time of this hearing; however, the number of speakers may be limited by time and attendance constraints.
Neither the Monterey County Sheriff Office nor the SAFE Task Force is responsible for the proposed residential site. The selection of the residence is the responsibility of California Department of State Hospitals (as contracted with Liberty Healthcare) and the California Superior Court, County of Monterey. For more information as to the process of Sexually Violent Predator placement refer to California Department of State Hospitals at: www.dsh.ca.gov
Public comments will be accepted via email until July 21, 2015 at: www.montereysheriff.org/echaneyjr
Currently the proposed residence for Eldridge Chaney is 780 El Camino Real North in Prunedale.
Eldridge Chaney will be under the supervision of California Department of State Hospitals. California Department of State Hospitals contracts with a private corporation, Liberty Healthcare, for the ongoing monitoring of Eldridge Chaney and other sexual violent predators under the jurisdiction of California Department of State Hospitals.
- Eldridge Chaney Jr. was convicted for rape and attempted burglary in 1978. He was convicted in 1988 for sexually assaulting a 16-year old female and assault to commit rape of another woman. His crimes were perpetrated in the city of Seaside. Chaney used the element of surprise in all his assaults and twice used weapons to overcome his victim’s resistance.
- Chaney Jr. served more than ten years in prison and then was committed to the state sex offender program on June 14, 2000. He received treatment at both Atascadero and Coalinga State Hospitals.
- Chaney petitioned for conditional release into Monterey County after completing the first four phases of the state sex offender program. Phase five of the program is transitional release into the community where he would be monitored while continuing treatment.
- Eldridge Chaney’s victim selection does not have a clear pattern. Victims range in age from teens to middle age females.
Recent court decision:
- On October 7, 2014, Monterey County Superior Court ordered the conditional release of Eldridge Lindsey Chaney Jr., court case #SC006639A, a Sexually Violent Predator, from the Department of State Hospitals Coalinga State Hospital in order to begin outpatient treatment and supervision.
- Outpatient status is the final phase of the relapse prevention treatment program that Department of State Hospitals administer through the Conditional Release Program which is supervised by Liberty Healthcare.
This is intended for public safety informational purposes only. Misuse of this information in the form of harassment, threats, or other related activities can result in criminal prosecution or civil remedies.