Everyday, law enforcement agencies take crime reports from victims who have had property stolen from their vehicles. Some even have their vehicle stolen. Though nothing can prevent you from ever being the victim of this type of crime, there are things you can do to lessen the odds of you being victimized. Most vehicle burglars are opportunists and will look for the vehicle that is unlocked, or the one that is locked but has valuables left inside.
Even if your vehicle is locked and alarmed, if there are valuables in view, (even covered up) a window may be smashed to gain entry and steal your property. This all can occur in a matter of seconds.
Don’t make it easy for thieves:
- Never leave the keys inside the vehicle
- Make sure that the windows are all the way up before locking your vehicle
- Lock your vehicle even if you are only going to be away from it a short time
- Lock your vehicle even if it is parked in your driveway, inside your garage, or on the street in front of your residence
- Make sure to activate your vehicle alarm whenever you exit/lock your vehicle
- Do not leave valuables (i.e. purses, wallets, cellular/smart phones, cameras, laptop computers etc.) inside your vehicle even if it is locked
- Even if your vehicle is locked and alarmed, do not attempt to “hide” valuables under the seat or under an item of clothing in the vehicle
- If you have a removable faceplate on your stereo, always remove and take it with you. Do not leave it in the glove compartment.
- Please report any theft from your vehicle immediately to your local law enforcement agency. It is up to you whether or not you choose to report the theft to your insurance company.
- If you observe anyone acting suspiciously in the area of your vehicle or in your neighborhood, report it immediately to law enforcement by dialing 9-1-1.
- Do not keep a “Hide-a-Key” in the wheel well. Burglars will look for this. When they find one, not only will they be able to steal the property inside your vehicle, but you have also just made it easy for them to steal your vehicle!